Hunting Feeders
Peter W.
2018-05-22 17:39:40 UTC
It is a start!

https://docandphoebe.com/

Not quite live prey, but a start.
reilloc
2018-05-22 19:59:54 UTC
Post by Peter W.
It is a start!
https://docandphoebe.com/
Not quite live prey, but a start.
Have you tried them?

LNC
Peter W.
2018-05-23 10:58:58 UTC
Post by reilloc
Have you tried them?
Not in a house with two dogs, sadly. I wish we could.
reilloc
2018-05-23 14:14:28 UTC
Post by Peter W.
Post by reilloc
Have you tried them?
Not in a house with two dogs, sadly. I wish we could.
The merchant's video shows placing the feeders higher up, in places dogs
don't usually go. Of course, you might not want your cats up there, either.

LNC
Peter W.
2018-05-23 15:29:56 UTC
Post by reilloc
The merchant's video shows placing the feeders higher up, in places dogs
don't usually go. Of course, you might not want your cats up there, either.
LNC
As with most cats, they go where they choose. But they would not have an opportunity to play with the food - the moment it hit the ground, the big golden would jump in. Ordinarily, the cats groom him, but he is a chow-hound. This might lead to some conflict.

The cats have access to a cat-fenced side-yard, so they get the occasional mouse, squirrel, vole or young rabbit (young enough to get through the chain-link). But I would like to see them hunt more. For whatever (good) reason they almost entirely ignore birds outside, but take great pleasure in watching over the robins' nest directly under a hallway window.
reilloc
2018-05-23 15:33:50 UTC
Post by Peter W.
Post by reilloc
The merchant's video shows placing the feeders higher up, in places dogs
don't usually go. Of course, you might not want your cats up there, either.
LNC
As with most cats, they go where they choose. But they would not have an opportunity to play with the food - the moment it hit the ground, the big golden would jump in. Ordinarily, the cats groom him, but he is a chow-hound. This might lead to some conflict.
The cats have access to a cat-fenced side-yard, so they get the occasional mouse, squirrel, vole or young rabbit (young enough to get through the chain-link). But I would like to see them hunt more. For whatever (good) reason they almost entirely ignore birds outside, but take great pleasure in watching over the robins' nest directly under a hallway window.
It'd be fun to see how these things work out but would it be $40-worth
of fun? My daughter's a knitter. Maybe she could make something cheaper.

LNC
Peter W.
2018-05-23 15:58:47 UTC
Very likely. And if she uses wool with natural dyes, there are no issues with the cats getting some fiber in their food.
John Doe
2021-07-17 12:12:15 UTC
This sicko makes its cats eat squirrels and rabbits...
--
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 08:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Hunting Feeders